Our mentoring program provides a sustained, community-based network of personal support, information and resources to BCS High Hopes Scholars and their families, to help each student complete college successfully and increase their future opportunities.
By matching students with a mentor who has a college degree and understands the challenges and rewards of college, we provide a missing piece on their path to success.
According to the National Mentoring Partnership, research confirms that quality mentoring relationships have powerful positive effects on young people in a variety of personal, academic, and professional situations. Many of our scholars have shared that their mentor relationships have been very helpful to them as they navigated through their college experiences.
Requirements of a Mentor
We ask our mentors to commit to at least 2 years as a mentor. Additional years of support will be encouraged based on mentor/mentee desire and impact.
- Be a college graduate or equivalent professional in their field of work
- Have a minimum of 2 face-to-face meetings per year
- Connect with your Scholar at least once a month during the school year (via email, phone call, Zoom, etc)
- Attend Match Meeting with Scholar and College Success Advisor
We also encourage our mentors to attend:
- Summer Celebration (June)
- Scholar/Mentor Meet and Greet (June)
- Care Package Party (Nov.)
- Mentor Appreciation Brunch (Jan.)
- Group outings planned by scholars and BCS staff
How to Get Started
- Fill out the Mentor Interest Form
- College Success Manager will schedule a virtual interview
- If we decide to move forward, you will be asked to submit one reference
- For the safety of our scholars, we ask all potential mentors to be cleared by a background check.
Read our Mentor FAQ here.
View our Mentor Resources here.
If you have questions, please contact our College Success Manager, Lynn Walker, at firstname.lastname@example.org.